Thursday, February 28, 2008

Mozambique! (from Mr. Frankel)

We arrived in a sweltering Mozambique today and were immediately struck by the sights. For some of us, it was almost too much to put into words. The ride to our base camp was singular, to say the least. We were off-roading through bramble while passing thatched huts, burnt-out cars, shantytown markets, and local people going about their business.

Our camp is incredible. We are right on the beach, right on the Indian Ocean. The water is very warm (read: hot) and crystal clear. Now the tide is coming in and the women are going out to meet the boats to see if there is any fish to bring to market (not much from what I could tell).

Our African Impact leaders are setting up a seafood dinner and then we will hear the detailed plan for our visit. But so far, this is amazing.

Mark

5 comments:

Michele said...

Sounds like you had a pretty eye-opening ride to your camp!! I am on the phone with Mom and she misses you and loves you so so so much Franny!!!

The fish is alive, so no worries about that and we think about you everyday and send you positive, loving energy to strengthen you while on this incredible journey!

Be fully present in every moment!

love,

sheley shirley :)

carolyn said...

Greetings Adventurers,
It’s hard to believe you have already been gone four days! While you all bask :) in the sweltering heat of the African sun most of us on this side of the planet were bundled up in scarves and sweaters as the temperatures plunged down into the 20’s again today. Hmmm, which extreme is preferable?

Thank you, Mr. Frankel, for the vivid description of your first impressions. I was transported as I read: feeling the awe, excitement, and sense of being displaced. How brave you all are!

I am relieved to know you have arrived safely and I look forward to future postings of your journey. Most of all, I send my love to you, sweet Hannah. I miss you.
Mom
(Carolyn Liot)

Unknown said...

Mr. Frankel--Thanks so much for the updates and the vivid descriptions of what you are all experiencing!!! Your words are our eyes into our imagination of this wonderful trip. Hopefully some pictures can get posted so we can acually see some of these beautiful sights.

Jessica, we all hope you are doing well and feeling OK--Natalie misses you so much and is sleeping in your bed every night. Each morning I get the same question, HOW MANY MORE DAYS TILL JESSI GET HOME??? We all miss you, but know that this is a chance of a lifetime and possibly a life changing experience. Take in as much as you can, and have fun!! We love you. Mom, Dad and Natti X0X0

Unknown said...

Hi Maxie,

I feel like have to create a blog just for you Maxine because everyone wants to know how you are doing! Be strong and take lots of pictures. Have an amazing adventure. You are much, much loved.

Mom and Dad

veronica said...

Taylor, It was so great to hear your voice and hearing how excited you are! I am so proud of you, this will be a life changing and rewarding experience.We are all fine here, Chalupa sends kisses. Wear sunblock! I love you more than a warm summer breeze!! Please thank Mr. Frankel for the updates and photos! I wish I were there with you, love Mama